Vape pens are the most popular type of vape device with a longstanding presence in the vaping industry. Although vape pens had a slow start with early models often having bugs and lacking in performance; modern vape pens now have features and abilities that exceed the needs of all types of vapers.
The beauty of vape pens is that they are small but powerful. Unlike traditional e-cigs, vape pens are typically refillable, have larger batteries, give more vapor production and provide a more customizable experience. Unlike box mods, they are small and cylindrical in shape; making them easy to carry and handle comfortably.
For new vapers, vape pens are a great transition into vaping. They aren’t too overbearing but deliver enough vapor for a satisfying experience. For experienced vapers who typically use box mods, vape pens make awesome secondary devices; on-the-go mods that can easily be carried around without the bulk and weight of a box mod.
How Do Vape Pens Work?
- Battery: The largest vape pen component is the battery which makes up the body of the device. Temperature and wattage-controlled devices have circuit boards that can manage the power output of the battery. This gives users a range of wattages, providing a more customized vaping experience. For vape pens, batteries are usually built into the device.
- Tank: The tank is where the vape juice is held and the coils housed. They can vary from huge 8/9ml capacities to smaller 2mls depending on the device you choose and some come with the option of buying either a replacement or extended glass tube.
- The coil is typically housed within the device’s tank. The coil and tank are the components that convert vape juice into vapor. The vape coil is a heating element with a cotton-wicking material. Vape juice is drawn into the coil through the wicking material, heated, and turned into vapor. Like most devices, the coil will need to be changed frequently, as it will begin to wear out and you will notice this with a flavor drop.
- Usually, there are air holes on the top or bottom of the vape tank, allowing air to be pulled into the device. Adjustable airflows allow users to customize how much air is allowed to flow through the tank and by minimizing the airflow, users can limit the airflow, giving a tighter draw with a more noticeable throat feel and thinner vapor. While opening it completely cools the vapor down and provides a more airy hit with thicker clouds and less of an intense throat experience.
- All tanks come complete with a refillable vape juice system and each device may vary slightly, but generally, they are housed at the top of the tank below the drip tip.
- Mouthpiece: This component makes vaping comfortable by giving you a tip where you can draw vapor from with your mouth. Some devices have a cylindrical mouthpiece that allows maximum vapor to escape into your mouth. Others are indented in the middle to contour to the shape of your lips, providing a comfortable place for your lips to rest while vaping.
With only a few simple components, vape pens are able to give users a powerful vaping experience. In general, vape pens are activated by a small button on the device. This button activates the battery which pushes power into the atomizer, heating the coil. Vape juice is drawn into the coil through wicking material, which is transformed into vapor. This vapor is delivered through the mouthpiece and into the user’s mouth to be enjoyed and appreciated.
Are Vape Pens Right For You?
- Traditional E-cigs: These devices were the original vaping mechanisms. Typically, these devices are thin and cylindrical and often mimic a cigarette in appearance. Due to the familiarity of their shape, they are preferred by some individuals who are transitioning from smoking to vaping. Usually, these devices accept cartridges that must be replaced once exhausted.
- Pod Mods: In some ways, pod mods are like a mix between traditional e-cigs and vape pens. While they are small and discrete, they don’t usually have the pen shape and may come in a variety of different styles. These devices have refillable “pods” and not a threaded cartridge like many e-cig devices or a tank-like many vape pens. Some vapers prefer pod kits because they are simpler to use and maintain than vape pens, but with much better performance than the traditional e-cig.
- Box Mods: Just like the name suggests, these mods are shaped like a box giving them space for larger or multiple batteries. As a result, box mods are generally more powerful than vape pens or traditional e-cigs and are more suited to those who prefer larger vape production.
Choosing A Vape Pen
With hundreds of vape pens on the market, it can be difficult choosing the one that will work best for you. Today, there are vape pens made for all types of vapers – those who want a smoking-like experience, those who prefer power, those who want a large tank, or those who want a small discrete device for stealth vaping.
There are several factors that come into play when considering the best device. Some of these factors include coil resistance, functionality, and design.
- Coil resistance: Coils are rated at a specific ohm or resistance level. Sub-ohm vaping, for instance, refers to vaping at a resistance level under 1.0 ohm. In general, ohm levels in vaping start at around 0.3 ohms and may go up to around 2.5 ohms. The lower the resistance, the higher the vapor production and the more power that will be pulled from the battery. One key to choosing the best vape pen is to know what your preferred vaping experience is. If you prefer a high level of vapor production, choose a device that accepts coils with lower resistance. Alternatively, if you prefer less vapor and stronger nicotine content and experience, a device that is compatible with above-ohm coils and nicotine salts with a 50/50 VG/PG rating would suit you better.
- Functionality: Modern vape pens include a variety of functions and capabilities. Knowing what type of functionality is important to you is critical to choosing the right vape pen device. For example, some vape pens have digital screens that give important information about the device such as battery life, vaping wattage, and etc. Some vape pens have the ability to adjust wattage and temperature, while others do not. Choosing a device that has the right mix of features is important to ensure that you’ll enjoy your vape device for the long term.
- Design: At one point, every e-cig mimicked the look of a cigarette. Today, however, devices come in all types of shapes, colors, and designs – ensuring that you’ll find a device that fits your personality. Some devices even have colored LED lights that allow the device to glow, giving the user an additional opportunity to showcase their personality.
When searching for a vape pen, choose a device that checks off all the boxes on your personal list. If maximizing vapor production is the most important factor to you, find a device with low resistance. If having the most control over your vaping experience is most important, choose a device that has control features like temperature control and wattage control. If the design is a major factor for you, choose a device that has the color patterns and shapes that you prefer most.
The point is, no matter what your preference is – there is a vape pen device that was made just for you. The quality of your vaping experience will be directly linked to your choice of device – the device that is perfect for one vaper may not be perfect for another. Find the device that matches your requirements and you can ensure a perfect experience, each and every time.
Best Vape Pen Brands
There is no shortage of vape pen manufacturers on the market today. It almost seems like every week a new brand is joining the industry with a new vape pen device. Don’t be fooled – there’s a major difference between fly-by-night vaping brands that show up one day and disappear the next and the leading brands that have been around from the start.
Does it matter what brand you buy from? Sure it does. Vape pen parts aren’t typically compatible cross-brand. This means, if you purchase from a vape pen brand that doesn’t last – you might end up stuck with a useless device that you can’t find any parts for. On the other hand, long-standing brands that have made been in the industry for years and years often have parts that can be found easily – meaning you can quickly and easily find the components you need.
When it comes to vape pen brands that you can trust there are tried and true industry-leading brands that we recommend:
- SMOK – Founded in 2010, SMOK has grown to become one the vaping industry’s most notable innovators. With dozens of devices on the market today, SMOK is a brand that every vaper can depend on. SMOK has produced a variety of top-quality vape pen devices including the V8 Stick, Stick Prince, Stick X8, Resa Stick, Stick AIO, and more.
- Vaporesso – One of the most popular brands in the industry, Vaporesso has released a wide selection of high-performance vape pens over the last several years. Vape pens by Vaporesso are known for their easy usability and out-of-the-box design. Some of Vaporesso’s most acclaimed vape pens include the Orca Solo and Cascade One.
- Aspire – Established in 2013 Aspire has always been dedicated to providing customers with high-quality products and as one of the leading vape brands, they are a pioneer for innovation in vaping products, providing cutting-edge products. Aspire to be excellent!